Sunday, August 5, 2012

Old Fashion Comfort Food



My husband has been home for 5 days and today was his first dinner request, and you'll never believe what it was. He asked for beanie weenies and fried eggs! This simple hearty meal is actually one of his favorites. To me beanie weenies is a last minute, quick easy meal. It really doesn't take any time at all to make. All you really need is a can of beans and hot dogs, but I spice it up a little with some brown sugar, garlic salt and an onion.





Mix everything together and just pour it in a baking dish and bake @ 400 for about 20-30 minutes. My Dad use to make this but only when my Mom wasn't going to be home for dinner. She hates beanie weenies and goulash for that matter, she just doesn't know good food. The left overs from this meal are always eaten the next morning by my husband. This dish doesn't last at my house. This is also a very kid friendly dish. What kid doesn't like hot dogs? And it's a good way to get some iron in your kids with the beans.



To my husband this dish just is not complete with out a fried egg or two on top.


This meal is so cheap and easy it can be made for a crowd. You could take it to a pot luck dinner and I guarantee it will be a crowd pleaser. Being from El Paso, we put chile and salsa on everything. So of course my husband is going to dump some kind of heat on his plate.



I brought a bunch of these chiles home from El Paso and have them in the freezer. These are the best Hatch green chiles if you can't get them fresh from the farm in the fall. I use them in everything from beans to tacos. They are very hot so be careful.


 
Here is the final plating of this dish! Beanie weenies with two fried eggs topped with green chile.  It was delicious and there is just enough left over for Marcos' breakfast tomorrow. Breakfast will look just like this. Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment